Sunday, September 8, 2013

Diversity Is The Name of The Game

Stocks, bonds, or mutual funds might come to mind when you think about diversifying. Or Blacks, Whites, Latinos, and Asians getting along in Los Angeles might mean diversity to some. In field services, the name of the game is diversity. You've got to change up. Keep your skills fresh with continuous education and different opportunities.

In 1998 I performed my first mystery shop assignment. It was an upscale bar shop and was exciting, fun, and intimidating all at the same time. Since then, I have shopped apartment complexes, retail establishments, and banks. I have performed property preservation on foreclosed properties to include board-ups, grass cuts, and lock changes. Today I perform reviews for the USDA SNAP / EBT (food stamp) program and FDA recalls. I also provide door-knock services for a major bank for delinquent consumer loans.

From mystery shopping to government contracts. Wow! The key to diversifying your field services business is business development. When I have free time, I am looking for opportunities to work in the field. Insurance companies, freight companies, real estate agencies, mortgage servicers, etc. all use independent contractors to perform field services. Reviews, inspections, and audits are some keywords that can be searched to find work in your area.

I have been a self-employed field services professional since 2008. I enjoy time off, a fluid schedule, and working from home. Although it may sound glamorous, it hasn't always been pretty. When I was hungry for work and fresh in the field services game, I took work three states away! I slept in flea-bag motels that hardened truckers frequented. I've blown car engines and been pulled over by the sheriff, by name over a bullhorn. Those were the days!

Today I am able to walk into local stores, near my home, and announce that I am "here on behalf of the USDA". As an independent contractor, I work for NO ONE by myself. I do not work for the USDA. I would misrepresent myself if I said so.

You too, can work your way up to government contracts. Applying to numbers of mystery shopping companies could possibly yield interesting work in your area. A good day of working in the field would be having a number of assignments that would cover your daily expenses and earn you "X" amount of dollars. You get to determine the "X" amount. Take a break from Facebook and develop your business. Search for "independent contractor" or "1099" positions around your town. Apply to numbers of mystery shopping companies so you can gain experience in different industries.

I'll leave you with a cute video adapted from the New York Times Business Bestseller "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Dr. Spencer Johnson.


The Field Services Diary



Michelle Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment