Friday, November 1, 2013

Free Oil Changes! Get 'em While They're Hot! - Mystery Shopping Assignments

The Field Services Diary
Either I'm a great mystery shopper or they need help. As big of an ego that I have, I'm leaning toward the latter. One of my mystery shop companies called this morning looking for shoppers for oil changes. A free oil change and a little bonus ($25)...now that is worth my time. Free oil changes! Get 'em while they are hot! Owners of Cadillacs, Buicks, and Chevrolets are needed. You can even borrow a car! If interested, fill out the Online Application.


The Field Services Diary
Mystery shopping may sound like fun, sneaking up on people and taking notes. It may look glamorous, like free lunches and cocktails at swanky beachside restaurants; but, it is not so easy! Mystery shopping is not for everyone. 

Mystery shopping entails strict deadlines, detailed instructions and sometimes narratives. You want your reports to provide a snapshot of what happened. What was said and when. It's like telling a story.

A lot of people are intrigued to find that I am a mystery shopper. How is it? Do they really pay? Is it a scam? They'll ask. It is work. I work from home, make my own hours, and take naps regularly. They do pay. Some pay more than others. Some pay sooner than others, but they all pay. 

Early in my field services career I had a problem with a company that I conducted door-knocks for. They were in over their heads and I was in on the tail end of the demise. I was shorted a few bucks, but chalked it up to the game. 

Overall, I have been happy with each of the companies that I've worked for. In the past 15 years, I've inspected 1000's of cars, businesses, pieces of heavy equipment, damaged pieces of freight, foreclosed properties, and SNAP/EBT (food stamp) vendors. I've met interesting people and learned lots of things. I learned there is a drill that uses forced water to cut stone. A maker of ambulances showed me that. 

One time I inspected a small business that I suspected was committing fraud in some way. I was to go in and inspect this business to see if there was legitimate (any) business being conducted. Why did the man try to pass off some dummy-looking computer equipment as NEW?! I swear it almost looked like the (FAKE) computer stuff at IKEA. No disrespect intended. IKEA is one of my favorites stores. But trying to pass old or dummy computer equipment off as new on a computer geek is death, for sure. 

The man followed me to my car talking a whole lot of mumbo jumbo. Yep. You frauding and your shoes need to be shined, I thought. Commercial inspections back in the day. Those were the days. I've moved on to USDA and FDA inspections/reviews now.

Working from home and working for myself can be tough at times, but the free time and the good times are well worth the effort. Now I've got to focus on moving to the next level. I think my memoir is ready to be written. People tell me to focus on one thing. I can not. We are so complex; the human. I believe I have found the magic and I am activating my powers, now. 

Completing field services contracts before or after my full time gig allowed me to segue to self employment. I worked them both until I was able to quit the full time job. There was a level of fear but I planned for that and made provisions. You've always got to have a back up plan. Plan B, C, or even a Plan G. 

Check out some of these mystery shopping assignments to see if you've got what it takes. I have gone from mystery shopping to earning to $70K in a year in field services contracts and you can too. But, you've got to start somewhere. 

FREE OIL CHANGES - Sign up here.

Merchandisers needed in the following states:

  • AL (384)
  • AZ (128)
  • CA (178)
  • FL (541)
  • GA (429)
  • IL (351)
  • KS (199)
  • LA (375)
  • MI (207)
  • MO (260)
  • MS (228)
  • NC (405)
  • NV (48)
  • NY (184)
  • OH (396)
  • PA (376)
  • SC (299) 
  • TX (817)
by Michelle Brown





No comments:

Post a Comment